Sunday, October 9, 2016

RCMP commissioner once dismissed harassment claims of 300 women as 'outlandish'

RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson, who delivered a tearful apology to hundreds of female RCMP members who allege they were harassed, abused and sexually assaulted, previously dismissed their claims as "outlandish." In 2013, Paulson appeared in front of a Senate committee tasked with studying sexual harassment in the RCMP, and was critical of female RCMP members who alleged harassment. "I cannot be continually defending against outlandish claims that have not been tested or established but yet are being put forward as though they are gospel and representative of the modern workplace experience of the RCMP, because they are not," said Paulson in front of the Senate committee on National Security and Defence on June 3, 2013.
Paulson apologized to the women in the force and announced the $100-million settlement of two class-action lawsuits against the Mounties, in which some allegations date back to September 1974. “To all the women, I stand humbly before you today and solemnly offer our sincere apology,” said Paulson, as he tried to hold back tears.